Thursday 14 February 2008

VO2 Max

Today I was in DCU doing part one of the guinea pig work with Greg. He wanted me to do a Wingate test and then an hour later to do a VO2 Max test on the bike.


I got to do it on the Velotron (which should really be called a Velotron 2000, that would be be way cooler) which is as close to a proper bike as you can get while still not going anywhere.


The Wingate test measured how much power I could push out and how long I could sustain it, kinda like a sprint test.


After that, I went for a wander around DCU to see how it had all changed. They have astroturf pitches now and a staff canteen in my old engineering labs, it was shocking! :)


Then the VO2 Max test came up. It started at 100W and went up in 50W increments every three minutes. I got to within 15 seconds of the end of 350W before my legs gave in. As usual, I was surprised at how quickly you can go from able to pedal to not able to move. I have done max tests on a kayak machine and treadmill before and they both went quickly as well.


The best thing about all that was that I get to go back on Monday to do another set of tests, this time on a crappy cycling machine.


Tomorrow, I'm off to Cavan to let the tax man see that the new van is actually a camper and then over to Mayo. I hope to get a bit of surfing in, and maybe even a run and a cycle.


I still have to shorten the seatpost on my tri bike, but I can do that in Mayo tomorrow, I hope.



No comments: