Wednesday 22 October 2008

Amsterdam Marathon

Well, it's three days after the marathon in Amsterdam and I'm now able to walk properly again! I went over there with 7 other people, three of us doing the full marathon and the others doing the half.

I finished in 3:14 according to my chip time, so I was really pleased, especially as I hit "the wall" at around 33km or so. I managed to get through it and hung on to the 3:15 pacesetter for the last 7 km. I was wrecked at the finish and collapsed on the track after getting my medal. Then I went and ate and drank all I could find. Waiting for the others in the stand was cold, and I probably wouldn't do that again (Sorry guys!).

Things that I learnt from the race were to eat properly the day before and even for breakfast. I was ravenous at the end of the race, more so that I thought I would be. Also, stay off your feet for the day before. We spent the day wandering around looking at everything, mainly because we were only there for a couple of days. And finally I learnt that I can push my body further than even my head thinks! I should never have been able to keep with the pacesetter as I was down to almost 6 minute kilometres as he was passing me. It's amazing what a challenge does for you!

Now, I'm going to spend a few weeks not running or training and get over the cold that I picked up (I'm blaming Sparky). Then it'll be back to look for another challenge, possibly the Connemarathon.

Photos and timings to follow soon.

No comments: